Police say six Chinese abducted since January
Six Chinese nationals from Manila 's Binondo district were victims of kidnapping since January this year, two of which happened in the term of President Rodrigo Duterte.
Senior Superintendent Manolo Ozaeta, Anti-Kidnapping Group head, said the list was given by Senator Panfilo Lacson, former chief of the Philippine National Police.
"One of the cases happened last month," said Ozaeta in a news briefing on Monday.
Ozaeta did not provide details on the six cases, saying four victims refused to cooperate with authorities.
They consider the two other cases live since charges have not been filed against the kidnappers.
Duterte said drug syndicates have shifted to kidnappings since supply of illegal drugs are low.
The victims were males and heads of the family. The reason is that wives of these victims are generally "weak" and can succumb to ransom demands.
Ransom ranges from P5 to P20 million. "There was one case where the victim was held captive for five days," said Ozaeta.
The AKG is monitoring two kidnap for ransom groups. These kidnappers usually say they are cops or agents from the National Bureau of Investigation.
Based on AKG's records, 32 people were kidnapped since January.
Majority are Filipinos with 25 followed by three South Koreans, two Chinese nationals and two Indians. Still in captivity are two South Koreans and five Filipinos.
Twenty-one were released after paying ransom money while three were rescued. One Filipino was killed by his captors. Emmanuel Tupas/DMS