Palace may allow Dengvaxia use amid rising dengue cases
Malacañang may allow the use of the Dengvaxia vaccine again amid increasing cases of dengue in the country.
In an interview on Wednesday, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo noted that experts have different views on Dengvaxia, which was blamed by some people why their loved ones allegedly died when infected by dengue virus for the first time.
But some Filipino doctors claimed there was no scientific basis French pharmaceutical giant Sanofi Pasteur-manufactured vaccine was the cause of death of some patients.
"If you will notice, the experts have different opinions on that. There were those who said that (Dengvaxia) could be used (as a treatment), while others disagreed. So we need to thoroughly investigate exactly the situation involving Dengvaxia," Panelo said.
Asked if the Palace is open to the proposal to use again Dengvaxia, "Certainly, if the weight of the finding show(s) that there is benefit in using Dengvaxia [against] dengue, then certainly, the government should consider it."
"We're always open to anything that will benefit the Filipino people. We're not closed to any suggestion," he added.
Former Health Secretary and now Iloilo Rep. Janette Garin has urged the Department of Health to “listen to real experts” and make Dengvaxia vaccines available.
This was after Health Secretary Francisco Duque III earlier declared a “national dengue alert” after cases significantly increased by 85 percent to 106,630 nationwide from January 1 to June 29 compared to 57,564 cases during the same period last year.
The use of Dengvaxia vaccine, which started during the latter part of the Aquino administration and continued until the early part of the Duterte administration, was stopped after Sanofi, in November 2017, admitted that the vaccine could bring higher risk to those who are not yet infected with dengue. Celerina Monte/DMS