NCR police waiting for instructions on checkpoints
The National Capital Region’s police director said Sunday they are still waiting for the instruction coming from President Rodrigo Duterte regarding his order dismantling all checkpoints in the country.
Chief Superintendent Oscar Albayalde, NCR police director, said they haven’t received any instruction from the president or from PNP chief Ronald Dela Rosa to remove all checkpoints.
“So far, no instructions yet. We will ask for clarification but if the President really wants to remove it, we will follow,” he said in a radio interview.
Albayalde said the president’s order could be for provincial areas where extortion happens.
“Some officers extort for vegetables from those who deliver and who stop at checkpoints. Maybe that’s the reason the president is mad,” he said.
He said they receive reports from those delivering goods that they are being extorted at checkpoints.
“Maybe those reports also reached the president about officers who extort sand, gravel, vegetables or woods ( from people),” he added.
He said checkpoints in Metro Manila are mainly for anti-crime efforts, especially with the vigilante killings in the city.
He agreed with the president’s statement checkpoints should be made if these are necessary.
“In case there is an incident in a certain area, we can automatically activate checkpoints so we can cover all exit in different areas,’ he said.
Once the order is made, Albayalde said they will increase the number of mobile patrol and officers in public areas so people will feel safe. Ella Dionisio/DMS